Within the second quarter of 2022, 48 main assaults have been monitored within the Web3 house, with whole losses of roughly $718.34 million, down roughly 40 p.c from $1.2 billion within the first quarter and roughly 2.42 instances the losses in Q1 2021 ($296.56 million).
Click on right here to obtain the full Q2 web3 security report, or learn the abstract under.
From January to June 2022, property misplaced within the Web3 house because of assaults totaled $1,912.87 million.
- April was essentially the most energetic month for hacking. Could noticed a big lower within the variety of assaults and losses; hacking exercise elevated in June.
- By challenge kind, DeFi continues to have the best rekt frequency; roughly 79.2% of assaults happen within the DeFi area.
- All chains and attacked tasks noticed a big lower in TVL values in Could. Most tasks skilled a lower in TVL instantly after they have been attacked.
- By chain, the best loss this quarter was on Ethereum, $381.35 million. Essentially the most regularly attacked chain was the BNB Chain, with 26 exploits.
- The commonest hacking methods proceed to be contract vulnerability exploitation and flash loans. Roughly 45.8% of assaults have been contract exploits. The best losses have been brought on by flash loans, totaling $233 million.
- Roughly $418.89 million in stolen funds have been transferred to Twister.money by hackers, representing 58.3% of the overall quantity stolen in the course of the quarter.
- Solely 52% of the attacked tasks have been audited.
- Forty-three main rug pull incidents on the chain have been monitored this quarter, with whole losses of roughly $34,266,402. From incomplete statistics, Discord servers have been hacked greater than 151 instances. Rug pull and phishing safety incidents have been frequent in Could and June.
All charts and graphs on this report might be considered at:
DeFi safety remained a spotlight of concern in Q2 2022, with roughly 79.2% of assaults occurring within the Defi house. For 2 consecutive quarters, DeFi has been the main focus of hacker assaults. Though NFT, cross-chain bridges, and change safety incidents should not as frequent as DeFi incidents, a number of incidents concerned massive losses. Web3 tasks of every kind ought to strengthen safety.
What’s Footprint Analytics?
Footprint Analytics is an all-in-one evaluation platform to visualise blockchain information and uncover insights. It cleans and integrates on-chain information so customers of any expertise stage can rapidly begin researching tokens, tasks and protocols. With over a thousand dashboard templates plus a drag-and-drop interface, anybody can construct their very own custom-made charts in minutes. Uncover blockchain information and make investments smarter with Footprint.